Sunday, June 23, 2013



 So, this week's 'Make Art That Sells' assignment was to illustrate a children's book cover or page for Hans Christian Anderson's The Snail and the Rose Tree. In very short summary, it's the tale of a pompous little snail who lives beneath a rose tree and stays in one spot, doesn't do much with his life, whilst moaning about how rubbish the rose tree is. 



The rose tree, on the other hand,  has a happy little soul and is content just to give his roses to the world and spread some joy. I guess it's a glass half empty, glass half full sort of a story. 





It was an intense week, I drew ALOT of snails, went to bed thinking of snails, woke up thinking of snails, even rescued 2 snails off the road when I was cycling home with the kids one day. My son thought I was a hero! 




I went through ALOT of ideas, came up with all sorts of different things...






We have to submit a final piece to the Flickr group at the end of the week. There's a lot of debating that goes on and it's amazing to see everyone's different takes on the brief. I finally decided on this one.....





but it could have been this one...




and now, I sort of wish I'd done something more with this one....





but I didn't, the week's up and my family are fed up with snails, and my eyes are sore from
too much computer time. I really must go and get those glasses I need!




At the end of the day, this is what that self-inflated little snail needed to do but he didn't! 




12 comments:

  1. Aw I LOVE your little snail at the end. So cute! And so true! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun, now I wish I'd used him! Maybe I should start over......there's time.... cue hysterical laughter! x

      Delete
    2. Ha ha! I bet you flipping do as well!!! Xx

      Delete
  2. Your artwork is really beautiful -- the class has obviously been inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you so much...I'm such a fan of your beautiful work so that means a lot to me! xxx

      Delete
  3. Wow they are all great - LOVE them : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. everything you illustrate is just so darn cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Denise....I'm in love with your work, I wish I could buy your plate! The course is great isn't it. xxxxx

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done Lizzie, so lovely! You have done SO much work!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely loved your final cover, (great decision on the white background, btw) and looking through all of your concepts, you totally blew all of them out of the park - NICE WORK! Your attention to detail is astounding. I can't wait to see more of your work in class! :-)

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10